Thursday, November 8, 2012

What I'm Reading

After I started thinking about writing this post, I pulled out all of the books I'm reading in actual print, looked at what I was reading on my Kindle and through Audible.com and could not believe that I can even keep this many books straight with my mom brain! There are some books in this list that I have to be in a certain mood in order to read them, others I read at scheduled times throughout the day. You'll see that I'm not much into fiction, I mostly enjoy books that I feel like I'm learning something. Here's my list - please leave comments letting me know what you're reading!




 At the beginning of the summer, I finally caved and started reading Fifty Shades of Grey. I've only gotten through about a third of it. I didn't find it all that interesting to be honest and couldn't relate to Ana much at all. I only tend to pick this book up when nothing else interests me. I'm not even sure that I'll be able to finish it!



My husband and I like to have "radio dates" a few times a week. While he's a work and I'm at home, we'll both listen to Family Life Today and will talk about it in the evenings. The author of this book, Julie Ann Barnhill , was on a few days there and I thought this book sounded interesting. After I started reading it, I was a little shocked at what the author shared about how she use to treat her kids. But, all moms are different. I would recommend this book if you tend to explode sometimes towards your kids when you're feeling frustrated. It's got some good tips in there on how to calm down, take a breath and see your kids in a new light. 



Boys Should Be Boys is a great book that a friend of mine, Bri, recommended to me. It's a great practical advice book about allowing boys to be all that they really should be. I am in love with this book right now. If you're a parent of boys, I would recommend that you read it too! This book has also made my look at my boys in a new light and allowing them to act like boys should - and not try to shape them into how I (as a mom) think little boys should act. I always read this book while I'm waiting to pick up my oldest from school.  It's a great bit of quiet time for me as the youngest is usually snoozing in the back seat!



In addition to reading several books, I also love listening to audio books while I'm doing chores around the house. It helps relax me and tends to make my work go much faster. I love all books by Joel Osteen  and I'm a big fan of I Declare: 31 Promises to Speak Over Your Life - for the audio book version it's about 15-20 minutes to listen to each day. Just enough time for me to get the kitchen cleaned up.



Dale Carnegie's book How To Win Friends and Influence People has been around forever, hasn't it? I'm only into the second chapter on this audio book but am already starting to see how what he's saying could really impact my life! I use to think this was mostly a book geared towards people in business but it can really be applied to all aspects of your life. 


 

The newest addition to my collection is the new e-book from Crystal Paine (Money Saving Mom). I'm blogging each day for the next 21 days about my experiences with this book, you can check out my posts here. If you also need some focus in your life, 21 Days To A More Disciplined Life is a great read. I've been a fan of Crystal's for years now, so I was very excited to be able to read her new book. 

Alright, that's my list! Let me know.....
what are you reading now?
Got any books you'd recommend? 

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment