Monday, May 13, 2013

How I Saved BIG on my Kitchen Remodel


When we first moved into our house
our kitchen was 
yucky!

Way...way..way!! Out dated from the 70's
Avocado green stove and sink
Chipped up counter tops
Ugly cabinets
Paneling on the wall.

All together it was ugly.
And it needed to go.

But we didn't have the money for a complete overhaul.
So, here's what we did....
for under $700


#1 - I used found paint.
My mom had just moved into a new house that had a ton of cans of paint in the attic.
There happen to be two 3/4 full cans of this green color that I liked.
Free paint!

#2 - Peel and stick tile.
People walk into this kitchen and cannot believe that it's peel and stick.
It was so easy and cost $95 for the whole floor.

#3 - Cheap trim.
Instead of going for the upgraded trim, I went for the cheap stuff.
I trimmed this whole room for $25.


#4 - We painted the cabinets.
A borrowed paint sprayer and 1 gallon of semi-gloss off white paint.
$25

#5 - Cheap counter top.
At Home Depot, we just gave them the measurements and they delivered.
We saved even more by having a very handy neighbor help us install it.
$175 for counter top
$25 for a pizza dinner for the neighbors family





#6 - I reused everything I could.
Why buy new drawer pulls and turny-things for the cabinets?
I just bought a can of silverish spray paint and took them outside.
$6


#7 - We bought appliances off Craigslist.
The stove was $75
The microwave was $75
We did end up buying the dishwasher new, it was $125.


#8 - Don't forget the details.
The curtains? 
No...they're cloth napkins that I found on clearance at Target.
Held together by safety pins.
$4


#9 - The artwork?
Made it.
Found canvas' at a garage sale, mod podge and scrapbooking paper
That and a can of black spray paint can go along way.
$10



That's it. 
My whole kitchen remodel for about $640.
We were extremely happy with how it turned out.
Nobody can believe we spent less then $1,000 considering what our kitchen looked like when we first moved in.

I'll have to see if I can dig up some old pictures
so you can see how bad it really was.

That's it from me today - have a happy Monday!
Sam













15 comments:

  1. WOW! Fantastic job on your kitchen, I'm totally impressed!
    I love your decorating ideas, would love a tutorial on your beautiful art with the mod podge! it looks SO cool!
    oh- found you at New Nostalgia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea on the tutorial - thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. We are planning on remodeling our kitchen soon. We'll probably just paint the cabinets we have and also the hinges. We used the stick on tile in our laundry room and it looks great. So that's probably what we'll do in the kitchen too.
    By the way, your kitchen looks awesome and I love the paint color!

    http://www.southernpixie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous redo but the bingo artwork is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to do another one and show everyone how - thanks so much for stopping by!

      Sam

      Delete
  4. Awesome awesome tips for working with what have! I love that peel and stick tile too - it looks great!

    I'd love it if you shared it at Living Well Spending Less this week for our Thrifty Thursday party! I think my readers will love it! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading over there now - thanks so much for stopping by!
      Sam

      Delete
  5. Your kitchen looks so good. You should be really proud of yourself for doing everything at such a great price. I'm sure this post will inspire others to tackle their own kitchen projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job. I especially like the BINGO picture. Your pride, and excitement really shines through in your post. Enjoy the new kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is being smart and thrifty, all right! I salute you for accomplishing all these renovations for a very cheap price! Congratulations! And it's true what you said that while there are things we can still use around the house, why spend when you can just repaint them for that “new” appeal, right? By the way, I got curious about the former look of this kitchen after reading your description about it. Well, I'm glad that you finally started to renovate it. Good job!
    Chase @ G.M. Roth

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done a terrific job, just goes to show what you can do when money is tight. We were stuck for cash when our kitchen needed renovating, and although we did a lot of the work ourselves we needed to hire processional painters. The painters we found painted the walls as well as the kitchen cabinets, which saved us money.

    Richmond Gordon @ CertaPro Painters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job on your remodel. You certainly did a lot of hard work and you got impressive results, all the more impressive because you were able to do so on such a tight budget. Good work! Some professional help would go better, but all in all this was a good home improvement project. Be careful with using "found" paint though!

    Essie Reed @ Valley Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete