Sunday, January 22, 2012

Salt Dough Valentines

I've been racking my brain to try to decide what Ashton could do as valentines for his classmates. I was completely stumped. I knew that I didn't really want to do that same-old paper valentines from the store. Here lately, I'm starting to realize that he won't always be so little....he won't always want to do crafty thing with me, so I need to take advantage of the time I have.

So after looking around a bit online, I saw some ideas with salt dough. Salt dough is 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of salt with enough water added to make it feel like play dough. Then you bake it in the over at 250 degrees for two hours.

The other night I just decided that we were going to whip up a batch of salt dough and see where it led us...


Ashton and Chris mixed up the dough, then it was Ashton's job to roll it out.


Ashton decided that he wanted to stamp the dough with cookie cutters.


Everybody had fun stamping the dough out! They choose different shapes and Ashton got the idea to make some ornaments for his Grandmas.

Then I saw this little heart cookie cutter, and had an idea....heart necklaces for valentines!!
Of course, this will only work for the girls in his class, but I'd figure out something for the boys later.


I wasn't sure if Ashton would get behind this idea. Giving jewelry away to the girls in his class. At first he said, "no" that he only wanted to give jewelry to a couple of girls and we explained that if one of them got it - they all had to. He was okay with that.

We pressed forward.

We finished stamping out all the hearts and other designs that we wanted and put them in the oven. One trick I found out that the thinner the dough is, the better it will dry. We ended up with a couple of think pieces that needed to be left in the oven overnight (I heated the oven to 450, turned it off and left them in overnight.)

They turned out awesome - now we just need to paint. Come back next week for more!

I'm linking up to:

1 comment:

  1. Looks fun! I think the girls will love him. Quite the ladies man you have there. :-) I am a new follower visiting from Christina's Adventures. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete