Sunday, June 30, 2013

"Home" Wooden State Sign

A little over six years ago, Chris and I moved to Omaha, NE. We moved here because I wanted to be closer to my parents and we were excited about the idea of new city.

We love Omaha. It's big enough to offer everything we would want. 
And small enough to not feel crowded. 

But our home is Lawrence, Kansas.
That's where we went to school. Met. Married, Bought our first home, had our first baby.
Our closest friends still live in and around Lawrence.

I love that town. So cute and a great mix of people and events.

I wanted to represent our "home" in our current home.

I have seen wooden state signs all over on Pinterest here lately. And I love them.
And I wanted one!

So I had the hubby screw a few boards together for me.


My first coat of paint was white - I didn't even give it time to dry and then did a coast of the green and yellow with a damp brush. It thinned the paint out to just the right consistency for me. 


I first drew the shape of the state (Kansas) out in pencil.
With a thin brush, I started on the outline. 

With the outline done, I started filling it in.


This was a scary project for me!
I am not a painter at all. I also have shaky hands - so wasn't sure if I would like how it turned out.
But I think I did pretty good. 


I went over the state with a dry brush to pull up any extra paint, and to give it a aged look. 


I was very impressed with my ability to paint a word.
And have it be legible.


The heart when right about where Lawrence is at. 



I am in love with the finished product. 
I can't wait to find a place for this in our living room!


Thanks for stopping by today - Where do you call home?

While you're here - make sure and follow me on BlogLovin


Lovin' these blogs...

13 comments:

  1. That looks Great!! I was thinking of doin this with my state NE! Found you on the Pin Hop Party!! You should come post this at a party I cohost DIY Showcase! It's open now!
    Shelly- minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where at in Nebraska? We're in Omaha!

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Sam

      Delete
  2. Love this! It's so cute!!!

    Thanks for linking up to Super Sunday at Who Needs a Cape! Hope we see you again this Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...very nice! My parents grew up in Kearney and Loup City...traveled there every year growing up. Relatives in Omaha, and I've actually been to Lawrence a couple times! What a sweet idea...and way to go painting a legible word!!

    -andi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat project. Pinned:) New linky follow for ya! Follow back at http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/07/bicycle-basket-up-cycle.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I've considered doing this myself, but can't decide whether to do Alaska (where I grew up) or Texas (where I live now, unfortunately). Yours turned out perfectly.
    Thanks for stopping by. :)
    Rebekah @ somewhere-in-the-middle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping in and linking up to the Friday Follow Along. I love your sign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice site. On your blogs very interest and i will tell a friends. Login Page

    ReplyDelete