Monday, January 14, 2013

Valentines Garland - Under $2.00!




We took our Christmas decorations down the first weekend if January. Ever since, I've thought the house just looked so bare. It needed something!

Today, I went cruising through Michael's and saw the cutest fabric garland...all in Valentines Day colors. I just about threw it in my cart, when I saw the price...$14.99. My husband would have probably killed me for spending that much on tied ribbon and fabric.

The thought hit me that maybe...just maybe I could make my own garland, and save a ton of money.
That's exactly what I did....and I only spent $1.66 to make it!

I bought four sheets of felt ($0.29 each) and found some clearance ribbon ($0.50), I already knew that I had some twine at home and some scrap fabric to use.

Here's how I got started...



I started cutting the felt into strips (cut the short way.)
You stretch the strips and then cut them in half.



And you start to tie each piece, leaving just a small amount of space between each one. 

I didn't make a pattern, just went with which every color I grabbed and occasionally, I'd throw in my ribbon of some of the scrap fabric I had. 


I used twine as my center, but if you had some leftover thin ribbon, that would work too. 


I will say that this took awhile to do, around a half hour. But, my hubby helped cut and stretch the strips and we had a good reason to do nothing but sit at the kitchen table and watch some TV together. 


I really love the way it turned out!
I cut some hearts out of construction paper and taped them to the mirror...Valentines Day decorations!

I also have a photo session with a new baby this week, so I'm thinking of a way to work the garland into the picture.

You could make a garland for every holiday....March would be different shades of green, July would be red, white and blue...and so one.





Thanks so much for stopping by! 





No comments:

Post a Comment