Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sloppy Joe Bowls - Game Day Food

Chris and I were invited to our first Super Bowl Party in years and years. He was really excited about having some guys to watch the game with, the kids were excited to be able to play with the other kids. Me? I was excited about thinking what dish I would bring.

I poured over Follow Me on Pinterest and wanted to find something that would feed roughly 12-15 people and would be cheap and easy to make. And, would be something that guys and kids alike would want to eat. While I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for....here's what I came up with...

Sloppy Joe Bowls


First, you'll need two tubes of biscuits. They have the larger "Grands" style too, but I thought those would be too big, so I bought the el-cheapo $0.50 biscuits.


Next, take some cooking spray and spray the inside of your muffin tins. They do not need a heavy coating of spray, one small spray in each tin will do just fine. Otherwise the biscuits will slide down.

Go ahead and preheat your oven to 400 degrees. 


There are two ways you could do this next step. The biscuits need to be flatted into a large circle. You could do this with your hands (see above) or with a rolling pin (see below). If you do it with your hands make sure and have a small bowl of flour available because the dough can get a little sticky when it starts to warm up. 

I found it to be the easiest to roll them with a rolling pin. The dough doesn't get warmed by your hands and it's quicker. 



Next, place your biscuits into the muffin tin. Pull the dough up along the sides to form your bowl. 


They don't have to look perfect - flaws just add character. 


Place your bowls in the oven for one minute. When you pull them out, you'll notice that the dough has already started to rise. I took a spoons and pushed it back down into the bowl shape that I wanted. This is how they'll look: 


Place the bowls back into the oven. Bake them in two minute intervals until browned on the edges. Mine took a total of 6 minutes to bake.


Take a spoon and pop them out of the muffin tin.



I was so pleased with how these turned out! I let mine rest on the counter till they were completely cooled and then put them into a storage bag on the counter overnight. I wanted to make sure the bread was hard enough to hold up to some hearty sloppy joe mix. 

Now, for the sloppy joes. I don't have my own recipe for sloppy joes or any special way that I make mine. 

I use a mix.

I'm ashamed to say it, but it's true. 

Here's what I use. 


I am in love with the Simply Organic Sloppy Joe Mix. It's available at Whole Foods, at some Target stores and online through Amazon. My whole family loves the taste of this mix and I like that it has organic ingredients. But, for this any sloppy joe mix (as long as it's not too watery) would work perfectly. 

Anyways, so I just follow the directions on the packet and away I go!

When you're done mixing your sloppy joe mix, starting filling up your mini bread bowls. I put a small pinch of shredded cheddar cheese on the bottom of each bowl to make sure they were extra cheesy!


Then top them with cheese. Make sure and serve them warm. After filling the mini bowls and topping with the sloppy joe mix, place them back into a 350 degree oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. 


I'm so happy with how these turned out!

(These were a huge hit on Sunday with everyone!)


Hi Pinterest visitors!! Please become a follower of my blog, and to see more from me - click here!


I'm linking up to these parties: 
TidyMom            It's a HodgePodge Life


20 comments:

  1. Hello there! Great blog, I love this recipe! It looks so easy and delicious. I found you on "hop along Friday" hop & I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe...yummy, thank you for joining us at Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your link on the Creative Monday linky :)

    I had no idea what Sloppy Joes were so thank you so much for sharing (& educating!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever! I would love for you to visit my new food blog, The Sweet Spot, and link up your recipes to my Mouthwatering Monday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Visiting from FPDG. This is right up my alley. :) What a great idea. I would like to invite you to our Fabulous Friday link up party. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, good idea. You could fill that with all sorts of things. Taco cups, meatloaf cups...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah - endless possibilities. My hubby thought chili would be great in these mini bowls too.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. yum. do you think you could make the bowls ahead of time and freeze them for later? i can think of a million, well maybe five, things i could fill these little bowl with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....I bet these could be froze! Good idea!

      Delete
  8. I love that you beautified sloppy joes that's great! I would love you to add this and any other posts you want to show off to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh those look so good, I love sloppy joes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going to be making these this week, adding the ingredients to my grocery list right now, they look so good!

    http://www.thejohnslife.com/BabycakesBlog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I made them today, I had the Grands Flaky layers biscuits, I was able to pull them in half for each one. I just flattened them with my fingers on the counter on a piece of wax paper. Worked well. I did as you said to pull them out after 1 min and flatten them back, and had to do that every 2 min. interval too. I think it was because I used the Grands. I thought the bowls were so good, my sloppy joe mix ended up tasting more like chili though. I think these bowls would be really good with other things too, maybe if you have the big muffin pans make bigger bowls and use them for a creamy soup.

      Delete
  11. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    Carmen
    http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if there is any way to make corn bread bowls.... Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a neat idea! Gotta add this to my recipes. I LOVE LOVE LOVE sloppy joes and this would be cute for parties and such.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just tried these out tonight for dinner and they were a big hit!

    Also, a tip: I found that a shot glass worked really well to moosh down the bottoms and sides as the biscuits puffed up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You will require a place that is cool, dull, dry, and outfitted with racking. These can be produced using wood, plastic, or metal as long as they can hold the weight you put on them, you don't need your containers or jars to arrive up on the floor, nor should boxes or nourishment by and large be put away at ground level. ginnos cameron texas menu

    ReplyDelete