Monday, March 2, 2015

The Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies That Almost Didn't Happen!

My good friend Carly recently had pretty major surgery. So major that it has put her out of commission for a little while. She is a super lucky gal that her sister dropped everything and flew in to stay with her to help out with Carly's two little girls and fix suppers for her family.

Since dinners were covered by her sister, I asked what could I bring?? Carly said that she loved a good Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie...so, of course, that's what I'm bringing over!

I  have never made chocolate chip cookies with walnuts. I always make my Aunt Mable's recipe of Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Thinking at first that I could just add walnuts until Carly announced that she did not like oatmeal cookies. Hmmmm.

On my hunt for some yummy walnut chocolate chip cookies, I came across this recipe from Brunch Time Baker. I followed pretty closely to this recipe, making a few tweaks of my own along the way.
 
Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
~makes 1.5 dozen~
(adapted from Brunch Time Baker)
 
3/4 cup of butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp milk*
1/4 cup instant oatmeal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
 
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat together butter and sugars for one minute, add egg and vanilla. Beat for another minute.
In a separate bowl sift together the flour, corn starch, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
Add your dry ingredients into your wet, about 1/4 of a cup at a time. Mix until combined and add milk. Mix again until milk is fully combined.
Stir in the oatmeal, chocolate chips and walnuts.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes.**
Allow to cool on a rack.
 
These can be stored for up to three months in the freezer!
* I added Silk Vanilla Soy milk
**I used my small cookie scoop for these and it worked beautifully!
 
 
 
The funny part about the cookies is that the night before I was going to see Carly, I had planned to make these cookies - that morning I was totally in the mood for baking and was going to make the cookies.
By that evening - I was completely spent. No energy to make cookies. 
Or do anything else but go to bed at 9pm. 
 
I had a decision to make - either text her with some lame excuse of why I couldn't come over....
like...
 
The kids have the flu
I think I have small pox
Bad hair day
 
But instead I decided to just go empty handed. Sure enough...I had to hear about how the only reason she got out of bed was because she thought I was bringing cookies. Even our friend Jessica who was over there said "I thought you were bringing cookies?"
 
Alright. Alright.
 
That was earlier today - so tonight I made the cookies and will make the special trip out to her house tomorrow just to drop off the dang cookies. But at least she'll be happy and it'll be a good excuse to see her again!!
 
And these little cookies will be perfect - a little crisp on the outside but nice and chewy in the middle.
Just perfect.
 
 
 
Do you have a go-to cookie for sick friends? Please share your comments and links below!!
 
Have a beautiful day!
-Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment